CHAI3DCHAI3D

normal CHAID 3D + Geomatic Touch + Linux

More
15 Feb 2017 18:41 #1

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use the Geomatic Touch haptic device with CHAID 3D on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I installed the geomatic touch driver, and the calibration and setup executables work properly. However, when I try to test the haptic device using the CHAI examples at /bin/lin-x86_64/(e.g 01-mydevice), the CHAID window shows "no device 0.000 0.00 0.00"

I followed the instructions at CHAID website, but I do not get which is the problem. Most probably I missing something. Has someone any advice or suggestion for this issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2017 12:07 #2

Here are a few suggestions:

Since CHAI3D uses OpenHaptics to communicate with the haptic device, try first compiling some example that come with OpenHaptics to make sure that the framework is working correctly.

The next step would be to make sure that CHAI3D is correctly communicating with OpenHaptics to access the haptic device. The source file to check can be found here:

src/devices/CPhantomDevices.cpp

In the following method, you can try to uncomment one of the printf statements to monitor if CHAI3D is able to detect the device.

unsigned int cPhantomDevice::getNumDevices()
This piece of code gets called by the haptic device handler. The following code can be found in each example which comes with CHAI3D:
// create a haptic device handler
handler = new cHapticDeviceHandler();

// get access to the first available haptic device
handler->getDevice(hapticDevice, 0);

More
27 Feb 2017 10:12 #3

Hello!

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately seems that OpenHaptics is not working. When I tried to run the examples after connecting the Geomatic and so on, I obtain this message:

Config directory not set correctly.: No such file or directory
Config directory not set correctly.: No such file or directory
HD Error: HD_COMM_CONFIG_ERROR
Configuration Error: Check the base address and port/adapter number. Consult the appropriate device drivers documentation.
HHD: FFFFFFFF
Error Code: 303
Internal Error Code: -30

As I mentioned before, the device works perfectly with the geomatic touch driver (I can make the calibration of the device and run some examples) however, I don't know what is happening with OpenHaptics. I checked the driver documentation but I didn't find the solution. I wrote the same question in the OpenHaptic forum, but I didn't receive any reply so far.
Do you have any suggestion? Perhaps someone had the same issue in the past

More
02 Mar 2017 17:37 #4

Make sure of course that you are not running their test application simultaneously.

Other than that, the best would be to perhaps directly contact their service support to get further instructions as I am not sure if their forum is still active.

See if the same problems occurs on the other example that come with the OpenHaptics framework.